Blount International, Portland, OR May 2018 – Present
Operations Excellence Manager
- Model the Blount 4P values of People, Products, Performance, and Profits
- Direct responsibility of Operational Excellence, Continuous Improvement, and Safety programs
- Started DMS 2.0
initiative to increase Daily Management / Visual Management system to a level 4
– world class status by creating a mobile maturity assessment platform with accompanying
playbook for improvements tied to an operational excellence dashboard to track
- Reduced FWIP outages by providing red signals indicating gaps in material flow
- Increased problem-solving of delivery and quality issues by creating a problem-tracker with a “take action” threshold initiating a formal A3 problem solving cycle visually tracked on the DMS board.
- Global Project Manager for the Blount DMS 2.0 Tier 1 initiative
- Created an EHS Dashboard to track leading and lagging indicators in real time resulting in a reduction of overdue incident investigations by 60% and overdue corrective actions from 148 to 30
- Created an incident notification system with mobile capability to provide real time notifications of safety incidents to management team to drive hazard mitigation and incident investigations completions within 24 hours
Dyno Nobel, Deer Island, OR Mar 2016 – May 2018
Business Excellence Facilitator
- Direct supervision of four customer service and shipping personnel in an 8 hour / 7 day shipping operation.
- Model each of our seven core values of Zero Harm, Think Customer, Treat the Business as our Own, Value People, Care for the Community and the Environment, Challenge & Improve the Status Quo, and Deliver on our Promises.
- Lead the Business Excellence implementation plan through coaching and consulting the site manager, superintendents, supervisors, team leads, and team members.
- Serve as site champion for the best practices of Leading and Managing Change, Asset Care, Environmental Health & Safety, Teamwork, 5S, Visual Management, and Focused Improvement.
- Conduct and train leadership in A3 strategy development, practical problem solving using A3 thinking including 5-Why and cause-effect analysis.
- Grow the maturity of the Daily Management System by coaching and consulting for improvements with Tier 1 through Tier 3 visual boards.
- Lead breakthrough Kaizen and Loss & Waste analysis events to discover conversion and cash fixed costs savings opportunities.
- Advise department and team leaders by participating in Tier meetings at various levels.
- Train site in Lean basics of Problem Solving, Gemba Walks, and Leader Standard Work.
- Provide bi-annual audits and health assessments of entire Lean implementation plan.
- Currently serving as Best Practice Champion of corporate BEx Master Implementation Plan development.
- Created Kaizen program resulting in 213 documented improvement ideas worth nearly $750,000.
- Created Google based app at no cost providing real time data on Safety, Production, and Improvement initiatives.
three real- time digital dashboards for Safety, Engagement, and Focused
Improvement providing feedback to shop floor team members through the executive
leadership team resulting in:
- 75% increase in pre-activity safety checks.
- 85% increase in management Gemba Walks.
- 9% increase in project completion rate.
- Certified Safety Partners Training Facilitator
Oregon Feralloy Partners, Portland, OR Sep 2012 – Feb 2016
- Full P&L responsibility
- Managed direct staff of seven including Customer Service Manager, Maintenance Manager, three Production Supervisors, Quality Manager, and Shipping Manager.
- Managed fifty indirect reports for a 24 hour – 5 day operation.
- Created a “That Was Easy” customer service campaign using a Staples Easy Button that was given to each customer visited. If they couldn’t push the Easy button after working with us they were given a customer advocate number to call for follow up. The idea went as high as the President of our organization.
- Using Ishikawa – Root Cause Analysis on excessive production delay of 11.8% revealing a structural defect on a machine and a lack of an effective Preventative Maintenance Program reducing delay to 3%.
- Utilized TPM principles to develop and implement an effective Preventive Maintenance program to ensure equipment reliability and increase up time.
- Created new metrics for optimization using OEE measurements for each machine instead of plant wide delay metrics. Reliability increased from 89% to 98%. Maintenance was able to reduce equipment failures as trends were identified by specific machine.
- Using Lean tools – 5S, Continuous Flow, Hoshin Kanri, and Value Stream Mapping – focused on improving thru put, updated production planning procedure using cloud based technology to schedule production sequence by customer order fulfillment rather than gauge reducing lead times to meet customer on-time-delivery requirements.
- Used statistical analysis to identify undervalued production trends leading key stakeholders to approve a 4% market price increase.
- Created Visual Standard Work procedures for each operating position reducing cross-training time from 6 months to 3 months.
- Trained team with PowerPoint presentations on Lean tools and techniques – 5S, Root Cause Analysis, TPM, and OEE.
- Using Smartsheets, created Project Management process used for maintenance outages and CAPEX projects.
Indiana Pickling Processing (Feralloy Corp), Portage,
Apr 2011 – Sep 2012
- Supervised twelve direct reports per shift as 1st shift supervisor.
- Responsible for production scheduling 3-shift, 24 hour, 5 day operation with indirect responsibility of eighteen second and third shift personnel.
- ISO 900:2008 processes, Internal Auditing, Corrective & Preventive Actions
- Safety / OSHA compliance & training
- Environmental compliance
- Employee development & training.
- Started Kaizen program resulting in a $200 bracket installation that prevented catastrophic damage to new oiler system saving $300,000 in equipment costs.
- Changed inventory system to include a sign-out system reducing plant supplies spent on PPE and other small inventory items.
- Created an Employee Qualification Matrix to start cross training union employees reducing overtime for operator and quality inspector positions.
- Engaged union employees in SafeStart safety program.
communication program on HD TV’s in the plant to display KPI’s. Idea was adopted corporate-wide through an AXIS
Freight, Gary, IN
2010 – Apr 2011
Freight Operations Supervisor
- Direct supervision of thirty five to forty dock personnel.
- Load planning was used to maximize load capacity of each truck to reduce marginal shipping costs.
- Employee coaching, reviews, and discipline
- Safety training.
- Selected for 2011 VVT (Voices and Values Team) playing a critical role in improving employee engagement and
serving as Service Center Safety Committee.
- Created a process to identify target freight movements for reweighs to achieve revenue targets
Lake Church of the Nazarene
May 2002 – Jan 2010
Staff / Worship Pastor
- Created Kidz Town children’s ministry increasing attendance from 14 to 55 within 1 year.
- Started a contemporary worship service growing from 40 to 140 within 2 years.
- Started a basketball outreach program with 7 people that grew to over 40 within 6 months. It led to the creation of our own basketball league for adult males.
our local Upward Sports program providing an encouraging sports league that
encourage and treated all children equally focusing on participation instead of
Steel, Gary, IN Dec 1994 – Aug 2004
Maintenance Technician – Refractory
This was an hourly role in the maintenance department of an integrated steel producer focused primarily on refractory maintenance and repairs including blast furnaces, Basic Oxygen furnaces, Ladles, Coke Ovens, Pickle Lines, and some mechanical maintenance.
University of Oregon, Executive MBA 2016
Certified Harada Method Instructor, PCS Press – Norman Bodek, 2013
Certified SafeStart Trainer – 2012
Certified ISO 9001:2008 Internal Auditor – SRI Quality System Registrar 2012
Villanova University, Professional Certificate – Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt 2011
Olivet Nazarene University,
Bourbonnais, IL, B.S. Business (Accounting) 2004